Broughton, IL

L&N Railroad

Milepost: 394.71

L&N Broughton Depot

Broughton Depot 1912

Annual Report of the Railroad and Warehouse Commission of the State of Illinois

Mayberry Township

Hamilton County

St. Louis and Southeastern Milepost: 13

Northeast corner of 1st St. and Dawes St.

Estimated GPS Coordinates, Click For Map: 37.93496598,-88.46025897

History

Rectorville was located in the southwest portion of Mayberry Township. When the railroad arrived, it selected a site about a mile and a quarter north of the settlement. The Broughton depot was built and the Rectorville residents relocated to Broughton. The 1874 railroad schedule had Rectorville at milepost 13. Future listings were assigned the name of Broughton. The railroad retired the depot on 11/13/1959.

Gholson Brother's Broughton Website Rector Page

Broughton 1938 Aerial View

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs

Broughton Map

Broughton Map 1926

Provided by Gholson Brothers

Broughton Map

Courtesy of Gholson Brothers

Broughton Aerial Photo

USGS Earth Explorer

Broughton Aerial View 2018

DOT Railroad GIS

Locomotive 153 at Broughton Depot

Photo provided by Edward Oliver and Gholson Brothers

Passenger Car 38 at Broughton

Photo provided by Gholson Brothers

Broughton Depot 1917

Photo provided by Gholson Brothers

Broughton Depot 1937 flood, facing northeast

Photo provided by Gholson Brothers

Broughton Depot 1971

Photo provided by Edward Oliver

Broughton Depot side view facing east

Photo provided by Gholson Brothers

Broughton Depot 2017

Photo by David Cantrell

Contrary Creek Former L&N Railroad Bridge

David Cantrell

Contrary Creek Former L&N Railroad Bridge

David Cantrell