L&N Railroad

Junction, IL

Milepost: 417.22

L&N Junction Depot

Junction L & N Depot during 1937 flood

Courtesy of The Decatur Herald (Decatur, Illinois)
Thu, Jan 28, 1937 ยท Page 18

Gold Hill Township

Gallatin County

St. Louis and Southeastern Milepost: 35

Northwest corner of Front and Main St.

GPS Coordinates: 37.72438601,-88.23696801

History

The village nearest the B & O and L & N junction north of Shawneetown, Illinois has had several names over the years. The earliest L & N schedules have Cypress Junction while the B & O identified the location as St. L & S. E. Junction. The milepost was eventually shortened to Junction.

According to the Goodspeed Publishing book on the history of five southern Illinois counties, the grade between Shawneetown and Equality was completed in 1840. The Shawneetown & Eldorado Company was the next owner of the railway until 1869. The St. Louis & Southeastern Railroad assumed control and later the L & N.

The L & N depot building had been moved back from the original position and several photos had been posted on the Internet.

History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Illinois by Goodspeed Publishing, 1887.

People of the State of Illinois et al., Petitioners, v. United States of America and Interstate Commerce Commission,respondents, 604 F.2d 519 (7th Cir. 1979)

Survey Map Shows B&O and L&N Junction

Gallatin County Courthouse

Junction Map

Railroad Track Layout at Junction

Eldorado Library

1938 Junction Aerial View

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs

Junction L & N Depot during 1937 flood facing southeast

Photo from H O Turner Photo Collection donated to Shawneetown Library

Junction L & N Depot during 1937 flood facing east

Photo from H O Turner Photo Collection donated to Shawneetown Library

Junction L & N Depot after 1937 flood

Photo from H O Turner Photo Collection donated to Shawneetown Library

Junction L&N Depot

Ron Frailey

Junction L & N Depot Site 2018

David Cantrell