Shawneetown L & N Depot 1950s
Photo provided by Gallatin County Historical Society
St. Louis and Southeastern Milepost: 41
From west to east between McKinley 4th St. and Grant 3rd St
From north to south between Locust and Market
GPS Coordinates: 37.69225541705243,-88.14016163349152
Shawneetown was the L & N's last stop on the 41 mile track from McLeansboro to the Ohio River. Connections from the railroads could be made to the Norfolk and Washington, DC Steamboat Company Steamers on the Ohio River that were part of the Evansville, Paducah, and Cairo Line owned and operated by the Tennessee and Ohio River Transportation Company.
Maps from the late 1800s show that the L & N had an engine house and roundtable.
During the late 1950s, the L & N depot building was moved to New Shawneetown.
The next 5.3 miles of track that extended to the west side of the town of Junction were shared between the two railroads. According to the Sentinel 2nd Quarter 2015 Magazine, the B & O agreement to perform track maintenance while sharing the cost with the L & N dated back to the 1870's.
B & O Sentinel Magazine, 2nd quarter 2015
1938 Shawneetown Aerial View
1893 Old Shawneetown Railroad Yard Layout
Bowlesville Connected to Shawneetown Via the O&M Railroad
Atlas of the State of Illinois by Warner & Beers
Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
1899 Shawneetown Map with Depots
1899 Shawneetown Map L & N Depot
1893 Old Shawneetown L&N Roundhouse
1893 Old Shawneetown Map showing L&N and O&M Depots
L & N 1165 at Shawneetown, 1946
L & N Fans Worldwide Facebook Group
1937 Flood, before levee overflow at Shawneetown
Photo by US Army Air Corps
L & N Depot Behind Tree
Shawneetown L & N Depot after 1937 flood
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division
FSA/OWI Collection, LC-USF341-T-010677-B
Shawneetown L&N Depot
Relocated and Restored Shawneetown L & N Depot as residence 2017
Photo by David Cantrell