Louisville & Nashville Depot Maps and Aerial Photos


Dale L & N Depot facing west
L & N Depot in Dale, Illinois
Photo by David Cantrell

Eleven L & N depots have been found in schedules and maps between McLeansboro and Shawneetown.  The list of depots and stations is arranged from north to south.

A present day Google map image of the town, aerial photos from the 1930s, and a description is provided if enough data was found.



Railroad map of Illinois, 1928
Railroad map of Illinois, 1928
prepared under direction of Illinois Commerce Commission

Railroad Maps of Illinois Collection
B & O Station IconB & O depots.
B & O stops and trackStops without a depot have a blue marker.
The track is red blue.
L & N Station IconL & N depots.
L & N stops and trackStops without a depot have a red marker.
The track is shaded blue.
Joint Rail PathThe joint rail path is shaded yellow.

Click a map or aerial photo to see a larger version.



L & N Scheduled Stops


MilepostTownStop Type
0McLeansboro Junctiondepot
1McLeansborodepot
4Hoodvilledepot
6Roche Blaveflag
8Daledepot
13Broughton / Rectorvilledepot
21Eldoradodepot
29Equalitydepot
32Lawlerdepot
35Cypress Junction / Junctiondepot
37New Shawneetowndepot
40B & O SW Junctionjunction
41Shawneetowndepot

Milepost 0

McLeansboro Junction, 2nd & 3rd Depot


Milepost 0 map

McLeansboro L & N Depot
Depot 2 - One mile northwest of town at the intersection with the east - west main line.
Depot 3 - West end of Walker Street

McLeansboro Junction, also known as Shawnee Junction, was where the L & N branched from the main line that extended from East St. Louis to the Wabash River.  According to Ralph Harrelson's article, the town was surveyed on November 17, 1871, in section 9 of what is now known as McLeansboro Township.  A Y-track went to McLeansboro's first depot then on to Shawneetown.  Trains that were not destined for Shawneetown had to back down into McLeansboro to pickup freight and passengers at the Market and Marshall Street facility.

The McLeansboro Times-Leader, Mcleansboro, Illinois, reported on Oct 20, 1955 that construction of the new depot one mile north of town on the main line started on 6/25/1885.

March 28, 1890, the L & N request for right of way was granted for a new route that would shave 30 minutes from the transit time and remove the requirement for trains to back down into the city to reach the old depot.  The approval was contingent on abandonment of the northern route and the construction of a new passenger and freight depot.

December 3, 1891, the first train to travel the rails without having to back into town arrived at the third McLeansboro depot.

The dispositon of the 2nd depot in McLeansboro is unknown.


A New Geography of Hamilton County, Ralph S. Harrelson, Hamilton County File, Norris City Library

McLeansboro Times-Leader (Mcleansboro, Illinois) · Thu, Oct 20, 1955 · Page 34-36

Milepost 1

McLeansboro 1st Depot


Milepost 1 map

McLeansboro L & N Depot
Depot 1 - Southwest corner of Market and Marshall Street

January 1, 1872, the first McLeansboro depot at the corner of Market and Marshall Street west of the courthouse was completed.  It was located a mile south of McLeansboro Junction with the main line via a Y-track on the branch connecting to Shawneetown and the Ohio River.  Both freight and passenger service were offered.  Trains that were east and west bound had to stop at the McLeansboro Depot.  This required engines to back down into town adding extra time to the route.

Doris Nelson found an article dated May 2nd, 1889 from the McLeansboro Times that related hope that the Chicago and New Orleans railroad would be built through Hamilton County.  The railway was built west of the county.



McLeansboro Times-Leader (Mcleansboro, Illinois) · Thu, Oct 20, 1955 · Page 34-36

Fayette County Map, Mt. Vernon, McLeansboro from Illinois State Atlas 1876, Illinois, Published by Lakeside Building Cor. of Clark and Adams Sts. in 1876

Western Reporter Robert Desty Charles Andrew Ray  January 1, 1886 Lawyers' Co-operative Publishing Company pg. 396-397

Milepost 4

Hoodville


Milepost 4 map

Hoodville L & N Depot
South of County Road 975 North and the railroad

According to Ralph Harrelson's book on Hoodville, on April 5, 1870, the St. Louis and Southeastern Railroad obtained a section of land through John and Anderson Hood's land.  The depot was built south of present day County Round 975 North and west of the railroad in 1872.  At some point, the depot was gone but it remained a flag station.  Mr. Harrelson states that he had had the experience of "caughting the train" in Hoodville.  Mrs. William Faulkner shared with Ralph that the depot had porches on the east and west sides and two rooms.

The train derailed in February 1876 and then again in the late 1960's at the Ten Mile Creek Trestle north of Hoodville.

Hoodville, Illinois, By Ralph S. Harrelson, 1975.

Milepost 6

Roche Blave


Milepost 6 map

No photos or maps have been found to indicate a depot at Roche Blave.  The position on the map is a guess.


Milepost 8

Dales


Milepost 8 map

Dale L & N Depot
Northwest corner of the present day Dale Road and the railroad.

On February 5th, 1913, the citizens of Dale petitioned the Railroad and Warehouse Commission of the State of Illinois for the construction of a depot. The commission directed the Louisville and Nashville Railroad to prepare plans and specifications for a new depot by the March meeting.  In his book, Timber Town, Charles Hatton states that the Dale depot was built around 1913-1914.  No explanation has been found for the depot name of Dales vs. the town name of Dale although other railroads alter spelling to prevent confusion with existing stations.


A Timber Town, Charles E. Hatton, Hatton House, Danville, IL. 61832

Western Reporter Robert Desty Charles Andrew Ray, January 1, 1886 Lawyers' Co-operative Publishing Company pg. 396-397

Milepost 13

Broughton / Rectorville


Milepost 13 map

Broughton L & N Depot
Northeast corner of 1st St. and Dawes St.

Rectorville was located in the southwest portion of Mayberry Township.  When the railroad arrived, it selected a site about a mile and a quarter north of the settlement.  The Broughton depot was built and the Rectorville residents relocated to Broughton.  The 1874 railroad schedule had Rectorville at milepost 13.  Future listings were assigned the name of Broughton.



Gholson Brother's Broughton Website

Milepost 21

Eldorado


Milepost 21 map

1st Eldorado L & N Depot - Union Station
Southwest corner of South Railroad St. and the railroad
Southwest corner of the intersection of the L & N railroad and the NYC railway.

2nd Eldorado L & N Depot
Northwest corner of Grant Street and the railroad intersection

The first Elder-Reado railroad survey was conducted in 1853 according to the History Of Eldorado.   Eldorado served as the crossing of the L & N with the New York Central Railroad.  An L-shaped wooden depot was built at the intersection.  The Union Station had waiting rooms for the respective railroads on each side.  A brick depot replaced the wooden one in 1930.

The History of Saline County summary states that the St. Louis and Southeastern Railroad was completed to Eldorado on February 28, 1871.  The construction date for the L & N depot near the library is not known.



A History of Eldorado by Averil Miller-Mathis

A History of Saline County by Mitchell-Carnegie Public Library, Harrisburg, IL

Milepost 29

Equality


Milepost 29 map

Equality L & N Depot
Southeast corner of Depot St. and County Highway 7 (no longer there).

Equality was a midpoint between Eldorado and Junction.  Its depot was engulfed during the 1937 flood.  At some point the road and bridge across the Saline River beside it were removed.



Milepost 32

Lawler


Milepost 32 map

Lawler Station service began on January 15, 1871.  The rail traversed land owned by a former Civil War General Michael Lawler.  The stop was 200 yards south of the Lawler family home and across from the Old Guineaville coal mining settlement.  The railroad built a depot and 3 company houses at Lawler.  Southwest from the railroad depot were fifty-one houses for the workers of the Hickory Hill mine.  When the mine shutdown, the depot was moved and the train no longer stopped at Lawler.


Ghost Towns of Southern Illinois - Glenn J. Sneed

Old Guineaville

History and Families of Gallatin County Illinois, Volume I - 1988

Milepost 35

Cypress Junction / Junction


Junction L & N depot
Northwest corner of Front and Main St.

Junction B & O depot
Northwest corner of Front and East St.

The village nearest the B & O and L & N junction north of Shawneetown, Illinois has had several names over the years.  The earliest L & N schedules have Cypress Junction while the B & O identified the location as St. L & S. E. Junction.  The milepost was eventually shortened to Junction.

According to the Goodspeed Publishing book on the history of five southern Illinois counties, the grade between Shawneetown and Equality was completed in 1840.  The Shawneetown & Eldorado Company was the next owner of the railway until 1869.  The St. Louis & Southeastern Railroad assumed control and later the L & N.

The L & N depot building had been moved back from the original position and several photos had been posted on the Internet.  During the last visit to Junction in November, 2017, the structure could not be located.


History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Illinois by Goodspeed Publishing, 1887.

People of the State of Illinois et al., Petitioners, v. United States of America and Interstate Commerce Commission,respondents, 604 F.2d 519 (7th Cir. 1979)

Milepost 37

New Shawneetown


Milepost 37 map

The blue engine icon above denotes the B & O depot at New Shawneetown.

New Shawneetown B & O depot
North of Fulton Street between McLean Road and Edison St.

In 1937, the midwest experienced a devastating flood.  For Shawneetown, it was one of several in a line of tragic floods including 1883, 1898, and 1913.  New Shawneetown was established and most of the residences and businesses relocated.   A photo has been found of the L & N Shawneetown depot on a moving truck. The date of relocation is unknown.  The old depot has been converted to a residence and its photo can be seen on the L & N photos page.

The L & N schedules show the new town as New Shawneetown and the old one as Shawneetown.  A small building for the L & N was constructed at New Shawneetown but the year is not known.

Google maps labels the new town Shawneetown and the old one as as Old Shawneetown.

The aerial photo above indicates a spur off the main line and some large buildings.  Perhaps these structures contained supplies for the reconstruction and resettlement effort.



Milepost 40 / 41

B & O SW Junction / Shawneetown


Shawneetown L & N depot
From west to east between McKinley 4th St. and Grant 3rd St.
From north to south between Locust and Market

Shawneetown B & O Depot
From west to east between 3rd St. and 2nd St.
From north to south between Locust and Market


Shawneetown was the L & N's last stop on the 41 mile track from McLeansboro to the Ohio River.  Connections from the railroads could be made to the Norfolk and Washington, DC Steamboat Company Steamers on the Ohio River that were part of the Evansville, Paducah, and Cairo Line owned and operated by the Tennessee and Ohio River Transportation Company.

After the 1937 flood, the L & N depot building was moved to New Shawneetown.  No records have been found that indicate that it was used by the railroad.  The building has been restored and serves as a residence near New Shawneetown.  Both railroads continued runs to Old Shawneetown to exchange cargo with Ohio River shipping companies.

Both the L & N and B & O had wyes for turning around locomotives at Shawneetown.  Maps show circular track between the two railways that connected to the barge terminal conveyer belts.  Material could be loaded into cars, positioned on the circular track, then connected to the railroad that would ship the cargo north.

The next 5.3 miles of track that extended to the west side of the town of Junction were shared between the two railroads.  According to the Sentinel 2nd Quarter 2015 Magazine, the B & O agreement to perform track maintenance while sharing the cost with the L & N dated back to the 1870's.



B & O Sentinel Magazine, 2nd quarter 2015

People of the State of Illinois et al., Petitioners, v. United States of America and Interstate Commerce Commission,respondents, 604 F.2d 519 (7th Cir. 1979)