Veterans Buried Overseas
Many American serviceman never return home from conflict abroad. The American Battle Monuments Commission operates and maintains cemeteries worldwide for these veterans. There are two men with family from Mayberry Township that are buried in Belgium at the Ardennes American Cemetery and one in the Netherlands at the Margraten American Cemetery.
If you have information on other Mayberry Township veterans buried overseas, please contact me and their information will be added.
Photos of the Ardennes American Cemetery and monuments for Wilburn Farris and Kenneth Miller have been graciously provided by Dominique Potier, a Belgium soldier.
Frank Gubbels from Holland photographed Curtis Alldredge's name at the Wall of the Missing. Both Dominique and Frank sent photos of the Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial.
Their kindness is greatly appreciated.
Staff Sergeant Wilburn E. Farris
Wilburn E. Farris was killed in combat on 11/6/1944 at the Hurtgen Forest, Hurtgen, Germany. The weeklong battle from November 2 - 9, 1944 was among the costliest division attacks of the war for the U.S. Army with casualties exceeding 6,000.
He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.
Wilburn's remains were found in Hurtgen and he was registered as unknown soldier X-5379. He was identified by research facilities at Ardennes American Cemetery, Neuville-en-Condroz, Belgium.
His mother, Pearl Bond preceded him in death. He was survived by his wife Helen Hunt, daughter Peggy, step-mother Pearl Jones, father James Ervin Farris, and sister Opal Farris Mayberry.
His sister and parents are now buried at New Prospect Cemetery in Mayberry Township.
The Fields of Honor Memorial Record for Wilburn Farris.
Sergeant Kenneth J. Miller
Kenneth J. Miller was killed in combat on 1/4/1944 while serving as Left Waist Gunner aboard a B-17G bomber, serial number: 42-3494, during a mission against the submarine base in Kiel, Germany.
He was awarded the Purple Heart.
Kenneth was buried at Garrison Cemetery, Kiel Field, XI, Grave No 59, by the German military on 1/8/1944 at 1100. After the war, he was moved to Ardennes American Cemetery, Neuville-en-Condroz, Belgium.
His mother was Mrs. Julia Vianna English. The English family lived at Feakeyville in Mayberry Township, IL. His father, Julius Miller, had passed away in 1921. Both are buried at Big Hill cemetery alongside a memorial for their son Kenneth.
Kenneth's memorial monument at Big Hill can be viewed from the Veterans Memorial page by searching for the cemetery name.
The Fields of Honor Memorial Record for Kenneth Miller.
Details of Kenneth Miller were found in the Missing Air Crew Reports of the U. S. Army Air Forces 1942-1947, The National Archives B-17 Master Log - Dave Osbourne
Private Curtis C. Alldredge
Curtis C. Alldredge was declared missing on 5/12/1945 in Germany. His unit was the 355th Engineering General Service Regiment.
One of the last projects that the 355th Engineers reconstructed was a railroad bridge across the Rhine at Wesel, Germany that had been destroyed as the enemy retreated. A Westpoint article on the commander of the 355th states that the unit completed the railroad between Hanover and Bremerhaven, Germany after Victory in Europe.
Curtis was declared missing on May 12th, 4 days after V-E day, it is believed he could have been killed somewhere between the railroad bridge at Wesel and the two towns of Hanover and Bremerhaven, Germany.
His parents were Madeline and Ben Alldredge. The Alldredges lived north of the Jennings School in Mayberry Township, IL across the field from my Aunt Dorothy and her husband Lige. They are buried at Powell Cemetery east of Norris City alongside a monument in memory of their son Curtis.
Curtis' memorial monument can be viewed from the Veterans Memorial page by searching for the MIA veterans.
Ardennes Tablets of the Missing
463 names are engraved in the granite Tablets of the Missing.
Ardennes Cemetery Aerial View
The Greek cross formed by over 5,300 monuments can be seen from a Google Map aerial view.
Ardennes Cemetery is located in Neuville-en-Condroz, Belgium. According to Wikiepdia, the United States Army 1st Infantry Division liberated the land that serves as Ardennes Cemetery on 8 September 1944.
Margraten Walls of the Missing
1,722 names are engraved in the Walls of the Missing.
Margraten Court of Honor
The Court of Honor and reflecting pool are flanked by the Walls of the Missing. The burial area is located beyond the court where 8,301 soldiers lay at rest.
According to the American Battle Monuments Commission fact sheet, the US 30th Infantry Division liberated the site on September 13, 1944. The Netherlands government granted permanent interment with no fees, taxes, or payment.