Over the creeks and through the woods
Grandma and Grandpa Mayberry lived in Mayberry Township, Illinois.
This site contains history, memories, and photos of a southern Illinois treasure.
Mayberry Township Location
Mayberry Township began as a precinct named after Frederick Mayberry, II, a revolutionary war soldier originally from Bedford County, Virginia. His first land purchase in Hamilton County was made in 1818.
Ralph Harrelson's article reported the first land recorded in Hamilton County was John B. Stovall on February 13th, 1815 in southeast Mayberry Township, section 11, Township 7S, Range 7E. The location was south of Big Hill and west of Gossett.
Harrelson, Ralph S., A New Geography of Illinois: Hamilton County. Benton, IL: Illinois Magazine XVII, No. 2 (February 1978): 13-40 pp.
History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Illinois.
The Goodspeed Publishing, Co., 1887.
Feakeyville was located at intersection of present day Army Navy Store and Norris City Roads in Mayberry Township. Felix Gross had been given the nickname "Feakey" by his wife. They owned a store at the southeast corner of the intersection.
A post office with the name Felix was opened on 4/1/1895. Mr. Gross was the first postmaster. Hardy Hughes purchased the store and was postmaster until 12/14/1902 when the area was converted to Rural Free Delivery (RFD) Broughton. Subsequent owners of the store were Joseph Evans and Dougless Johnson.
Mack Hardesty built a store at the northwest corner of Norris City and Army Navy Store roads. The township constructed a building for voting and meetings west of the Hardesty store. In 1973, a new voting house was placed west of the store in a group of trees. My grandma and mom both served as election judges. The block building remains as a residence and voting has been moved to the Broughton Community Center.
Ghost Towns of Southern Illinois
by Glenn J. Sneed
The Goodspeed Publishing, Co., 1887.
Veteran grave photos and locations.
Veterans Buried Overseas
Three veterans from World War II never returned.
One Room Schools
Twelve one-room school houses were built in Mayberry Township.
Photos and history of:
The Texas Company operated a refinery in Hamilton County for over 20 years.
Photos and history of the:
Elder Shirt Factory
The women of Hamilton County and surrounding areas sewed millions of shirts for Elder Manufacturing Company during 58 years of operations in McLeansboro.
War Emergency Pipeline, Norris City, IL Terminal
Norris City, Illinois was the midwest terminal for the War Emergency Pipeline. It transferred oil to rail cars until the pipeline was completed to the east coast.
Santa Fe 2319
Is that a train in Mayberry Township?
Southeastern Illinois Railroads
Railroads were an important part of rural southeastern Illinois.
New Shawneetown B & O Depot
The B & O Railroad St. Louis and Springfield Divisions passed through southeastern Illinois. Photos, maps, schedules, and history for the Springfield Division can be found here in memory of those that built and operated the line.
On March 18, 1925, a large tornado system moved through the tri-state area.
41 souls lost their lives in Hamilton County.
Mayberry Township Churches
Several churches were built in Mayberry Township. Four buildings remain with two having regular services.
Mayberry Township Cemeteries
There are 11 cemeteries in Mayberry Township. A burial list is available along with cemetery locations and veteran grave maps.
On November 9, 1968 at 11:01 CST, an earthquake measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale was centered in Mayberry Township at a depth of about 12 miles. The event was felt from Nebraska to North Carolina and from Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico. The location was at the extreme southern end of the Fairfield Basin and about 107 miles northeast of the 1811 New Madrid quake that was the largest in the continental United States. An aftershock quake rated at 4 on the Richter scale was detected at St. Louis University approximately 1 hr and 45 minutes later. My grandma reported watching the propane tank dancing in the yard while she held on to the doorway.
Notes on the Earthquake of November 9, 1966 in Southern Illinois.
Paul C. Heigold, Illinois State Geological Survey